This page is to inform you about policies regarding both my original images and images I pull from other’s work. It is also to help protect you because it is very common to just pull images from sites that may or may not be free to use and could get you in trouble with some folks. I’m doing this because I understand wanting to use cool pics for things, but not wanting to violate copyright. Also, I like to give credit where credit is do.
(1) Public Domain Images: A lot of the images that I will post on this site that are not mine will be from the public domain. I often strive to do this in order to avoid any copyright issues and still get good content. These images will be mostly historical paintings and pictures, though other more recent images are released into the public domain by their creators. Most times, in blog posts, I will put “public domain” in the image’s description/citation letting you know that this image is good for you to pull and use for any purpose without violating copyright claims.
(2) Other’s Images Released Under a License: Some other images that also not mine will be from the works of others who have released them under some license within Creative Commons/GNU/others so others can use and modify it. These licenses are typically cited like “CC BY-SA 3.0,” for example. When using images that were released under this form I will do all that is deemed necessary by the particular license used and often provide a link to the license itself along with giving proper credit. If you desire to use these types of images, I suggest you do the same.
(3) Miscellaneous Images from Other’s Work: There may also be images which are not mine that I either don’t know the copyright status or are I screenshots I take. In these cases, I will try my best to give the original creator(s) credit and/or say where I found it. I suggest you do the same. If you are the creator(s) that hold copyright to an image which has not been released into the public domain or under a license like above in (2) and wanted taken down, contact me.
(4) Fair Use: I may use copyrighted images that are not mine in a way that falls under Fair Use. In these cases, I will state “Fair Use.”
(5) My Original Images: Original images that I post on my site will be accompanied with language somewhere either in the post, page, or image description that details that I am the author and/or be accompanied by BLACKCATHOLIC logos. Any original content that I create immediately falls under my copyright from the moment of their creation. I own these images. That being said, I know how I may post an image that someone may really want to share or use. If you want to share one of my original images to another platform, you are free to do so but properly attribute me as the author (“Justin Farr” or “BLACKCATHOLIC”) and either provide a link to where you found it on my site/social media extensions or state the name of the website: BLACKCATHOLIC. The same applies to my original images I post through my Facebook and Twitter extensions which may or may not state my authorship explicitly.
If you have any question, contact me.